Monday, May 2, 2011

Te Anau: 18 Apr to 23 Apr

Te Anau was amazing. It is a small town on the edge of the Fiordlands. We had a wonderful hostel too - everyone was in the same room and we had an outside entrance, like in Paihia. Everyday we drove somewhere and hiked a bit, then came back, went to the grocery store, made dinner, and watched a movie on Emma's computer. It was great fun. The moon was also full during this period, so I was happy :)

Right outside our hostel




First we went on the track to Shallow Bay


Sweet NZ robin that hung around us for awhile


Lake Manapouri


The following day we drove to Milford Sound. It was amazing! We were really lucky and had a great clear warm day. We stopped a whole bunch on the way there and back and did short hikes.



Mirror Lakes




Milford Sound!



"Max load 5 persons"!

Can you see my shadow?


Lake Marian Falls

Yay! I passed the 45 deg north a few times in December
The following day we did this sweet hike called the circle track. First we had to get over the river - so we rented a rowboat! It was hard work.







Chai, June, and Siming


There are many signs like this on the road


There are sandflies everywhere here. I got a million bites on my ankles when rowing. 

Finally, a typical night at the hostel. 
Te Anau really was great. We went crazy each night. Many dance videos! We also listened to the Flight of the Conchords a lot. 

I'm clearly not in a talkative mood right now...just wait till I get home and I'll probably never shut up about New Zealand. One thing though - NZ really is beautiful. You almost start to take it for granted after a while.


2 comments:

  1. Either you guys are amazing picture takers or New Zealand is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that is clearly a matter of opinion, but I must say, new zealand is quite beautiful!! did I not convey that earlier?

    ReplyDelete